Where does time go… and why do I never feel like writing anymore. I kind of always prided myself on being a pretty decent writer (for non-professional purposes at least), but my lack of practice is definitely showing. Words aren’t flowing as easily as they once were, and my grammar falters occasionally as well. I HAVE to change that this year, especially considering how the upcoming semesters should be slightly easier with 1 less module each semester. Speaking of which, one other deep regret I have regarding my lack of blogging is that I’ll have very little record of what my university life was like when I look back at this (bare) website years down the road. I can’t believe I only have about 1.5 years left of schooling before I enter the horrid world of 9-5 work (though in 2015 it’s more like 9am – 10pm). Time to cherish these last few moments (that I’m sure will fly by in absolutely no time) and hopefully keep a slightly more detailed record of these last 3 semesters.
That being said, 2015 is here, and it feels very similar to 2014. Looking back at my 2014 resolutions:
- Read even more
- I think I read kind of moderately this year. I actually got a bit more into comics (thanks to my DeNA Internship where I worked on a Marvel mobile game) which is actually kind of awesome. Comics are something I’ve always wanted to get into but never had the motivation nor means to. Grabbed a whole bunch of comics at a PI warehouse sale a few months back as well (that I haven’t finished). Still, need to get back to reading some novels (and I’ve taken a liking to biographies too recently. The Steve Jobs biography (that I’ve read like 3 times by now) is really good. We’ll see how my reading habits grow in 2015.
- Write. Write. Write. Write. Write. Aiming to have at least a post a month here. I’ve slacked off for way too long.
- Obviously failed at this one. I was about to set myself a goal of 1 post every 2 weeks for 2015, before I realised I actually had an even more lenient goal for 2014 and failed it miserably… Regardless, 1 post fornightly it is!
- Improve at pool. Consistently. I want to be able to run out almost any open table by the end of the year.
- Kind of did pretty decent at this, though anytime I take a couple weeks break I lose it all again. At my best I was probably running open tables the majority of the time (Broke clear at SUNIG this year in doubles with Ziyi! Break clear in doubles at SUNIG are literally unheard of…). Currently, I can barely pot easy shots… Time to get back into form when the semester begins (and stop losing to the dev. team guys).
- Exercise. I can’t believe how pale I’m getting, kind of disgusting…
- I have accepted my paleness in all its glory and am going to dedicate these last 1.5 years to gaming mainly, especially now that I realise how little time I’ll have to have full gaming marathons in the future once I start work.
- Code. No seriously I really gotta start coding if I want to actually have a shot at getting an internship.
- Really really lucky to get the internship at DeNA. Never thought I’d get to do game design within my undergrad years. Best of all, no coding Still, I definitely gained a lot of knowledge this year, especially with my CS2103T project and my big Media Tech project (which I’ll be carrying on in the upcoming semester). Suffered a lot, learned a lot. Pretty good year for Comp. Sci. related stuff actually.
- Learn stuff. I don’t know if it’s because I recently started watching a bit of Jeopardy, but I really have lost touch with current affairs and my general knowledge isn’t what it used to be (relatively speaking). This resolution is kind of weird, but I just hope to actually learn some meaningful stuff this year.
- Lol no idea what I was thinking when I wrote this down. Seriously past me, you dumb idiot, wtf was this supposed to even mean?
- Study Study Study.
- Yeah did well enough so I don’t really have to bother about my studies too much for my remaining semesters. Definitely can’t get it up to the next class of honours (or whatever NUS is deciding to call it nowadays), so slacking from now onwards it is!
- As always, be nicer to Char. 5.5 years in a couple day’s time. <3
Don’t really know what to do for 2015, I’m gonna come up with some list for the sake of it i guess:
- Expose myself to more books, games, movies, TV shows, music this year
- Like I said, last 1.5 years of free time. I’m going to enjoy as much stuff as I can in what time I have left. (I realise I make work life sound like the end of my life, but in a certain sense it probably is). Recently got Spotify premium as well, which is really awesome by the way.
- Like I said, blog fortnightly
- I highly doubt I’ll manage to maintain this rate of writing, but I’ll try I guess.
- Improve at everything I do
- Be it pool, Counter Strike, Dota, whatever. Get good at it. Last 1.5 years where I’ll have the time to practice all these things. Better make good use of it.
I’m racking my brains here but for some reason I honestly can’t come up with much else I’d like to wish for in 2015. 2014 was a pretty good year all things considered. Got an internship, uni results were pretty decent, had lots of fun with my new gaming laptop. Guess I’ll update this post if I come up with anything else soon.
Here’s to another good year.Read More